Position: Councillor’s Assistant, Communications and Administration
Requisition ID: 10060
Competition Posting Date: October 5
Department, Portfolio: Councillors, Elected Representatives
Full Time – 35 hrs/week
Salary: Competitive salary ($57,000-$63,000, depending on experience) and excellent benefits package.
To apply: please apply at the City of Ottawa's application portal
We are a supportive and collaborative office of three supporting Councillor Sean Devine, the Councillor for Ward 9 (Knoxdale-Merivale). The Councillor’s Assistant, Communications and Administration, focuses primarily on supporting our communications and administration functions but also contributes more broadly to supporting the Councillor’s policy and stakeholder relations initiatives. This is an excellent opportunity for those interested in advancing a career in public service administration/communications while working in a more hands-on, people- and policy-oriented environment.
Description of Responsibilities:
The Councillor’s Assistant, Communications and Administration, is responsible to the Councillor for providing communication and administrative assistance as required by the Elected Official.
Responsibilities may include: editing, translating, and publishing the Councillor’s bi-weekly newsletter; curating social media accounts; drafting correspondence from the Councillor; preparing policy reports and briefing notes; monitoring the proceedings of one of three legislative committees and preparing the Councillor for committee sessions; maintaining existing spreadsheets and record systems; scheduling and organizing meetings; answering calls and responding to inquiries from residents; communicating with city staff; verifying and processing expenditures; and, completing other administrative duties.
Education and Experience:
Post Secondary School Diploma in Communications, Public Relations, Business Administration, Political Studies, Literature, Sociology, or other applicable subject areas.
Formal training or practical experience in managing social media accounts; experience with crafting communications for general audiences; experience with web-resident publishing platforms.
Some experience with administering budgets and filing expenses and/or office administration would be beneficial. Experience providing support to an elected official would be beneficial but not necessary.
Language, Certificates, and Licenses:
English oral, reading, and writing
French oral, reading, and writing
- Mandate and structure of Council and its committees.
- The demographics of the Councillor’s ward, current initiatives and issues within the ward.
- Policy initiatives and issues in committees of which the Councillor is a member.
- Knowledge of city administrative structure sufficient to obtain information in response to inquiries from constituents, and to obtain policy information and documentation.
- City services and policies.
- Standard office software programs (e.g, Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) and web-resident publishing platforms.
- General administrative processes.
Competencies and Skills:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Organize, prioritize, and manage tasks and responsibilities towards timely completion, adjusting priorities as required.
- Ability to organize an office efficiently and effectively.
- Demonstrated initiative, requiring general direction, only.
- Ability to handle difficult situations.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively work independently and within a team.
- Strong organizational skills.